I wonder

04 November 2013

Visiting Dad

This July, Rob and I flew down to Texas to spend a few days with my dad. I wish I could have stayed longer and yet I was so relieved to come home. That trip was so hard on me. I love my dad and I've stood by him through so much but seeing my dad is hard. I can read how he is feeling even if he isn't saying much. It's like his emotions vibrate off of him and I happen to be on the same wavelength they are on and pick them up. It kind of sucks because I can't pretend that I don't know, I do know. I hope that I do get to visit with him again this year, just maybe not in Texas in the middle of summer. That was just too warm for me. 

We had a barbecue one of the nights we were there. At this barbecue we did not eat your regular, old food. Instead my cousin Tyler and my dad's friend Toni had a seasoning contest for the alligator we were going to eat. Tyler has his own style of Cajun but Toni is from Louisiana and whipped up some outstanding Cajun flavoring for her alligator. Either way, both were fantastic in their own way.

We also had frog legs that were good, but chewy and tasted very fishy. I don't know that I would ever order these or eat them again. 

Besides alligator and frog legs, we had bacon wrapped asparagus and stuffed jalapenos which I could eat that stuff every day. Yum yum in my tum tum!

Frog Legs

Tyler's Seasoned Alligator Strips


Toni's Traditional Cajun Spiced Alligator Strips

Stuffed Jalapenos and Bacon Wrapped Asparagus

We also went around downtown Galveston to check stuff out. We went to The Elissa and toured that boat. 

Here's a link to Wikipedia about the ship:


The museum next to the ship was nice, but that was because it was air conditioned. It was just too hot, we were soaked with sweat after taking the quick tour of the ship. 




We also walked all around downtown, which I had talked about previously. Let me just post some pictures and then I'll wrap this post up. 

Streets of Galveston, Texas 

Sidewalk Chess Game in Action

Sidewalk Chess Board Up Close

Inside the Pirate Museum

Pirates!

A Clothing Store and Bar Combined. What the...???

Inside the Moody Mansion

Inside Bishop's Palace

Bishop's Palace

My Dad's Dog - Konk! 


This last picture I'm posting is one that I will have to keep forever. It's my dad and I at the beach looking happy. I think this was a bittersweet moment for us. We both know how much things have changed, and yet we are both still trying so hard to be strong for each other. I've tried to stay strong for my dad, to be his support system when it seemed like he had no one to lean on. He's still trying to be the strong dad for me. I think we are forgetting to just let things be and let go of the things that have hurt us. They will only keep hurting us if we continue letting them. 

One thing though, we both loved the beach that day and it was hard to leave. 


Rob and I came home that the next morning feeling completely exhausted. The trip had highs and lows and it's always hard to say goodbye to your parents. I hope that I can see my dad again soon and hope that he will be feeling better too. 

2 comments:

Natalie Schafer said...

I tried to post a comment from my phone and I don't see it here, so if you get 2 I am sorry. First off your parents have no idea how lucky they are to still have you in their lifes. You are strong, brave and incredibly independant! I know how hard that trip was for you and I hope he does too. They will one day know just how much you do for them! Second off I like fish so maybe I would like frog legs but I am so turned off by foreign foods. I dont think I would have ever tried that or the alligator. But a giant slab of pig fat fried and served with eggs (Francine calls them chicken abortions).....well that is yummy!!!

Unknown said...

Chicken abortions...hahahaha oh that's bad! Thanks Natalie for the comment!