I wonder

09 November 2012

Thanksgiving throughout November - Day 9

26 years ago today my little brother was born. It's hard to believe that just 2 short months later he would be taken from this world faster than he was welcomed into it. I remember this day every single year and a sad, empty feeling comes over me. I feel this loss that I never had the opportunity to grow up with a little brother, another sibling, another person who was raised in the same household as me that could relate to me and share stories about our memories as a family.
 
I tried my very best today to remain positive and be happy. And it seems that no matter how hard I try, there are certain influences that make me really struggle with my feelings. Sometimes I just want to break down and cry and well, break things.
 
There was one thing about today that really made me happy though. Today it snowed like crazy and I was so sure that when I got home from work I was going to have to shovel. I hate shoveling; shoot, I don't really like snow. And the thought of me shoveling made me cringe with annoyance. For once it would be nice to come home and be surprised.
 
Well, to my ignorance, when I arrived home after a long commute, I found that the driveway and the sidewalks were shoveled. My husband shoveled for us and didn't tell me; I think he knew how happy it would make me for it to just be done. And all I could think was that I have the best husband in the world. It was something so simple that meant the world to me. It totally helped me feel better and I feel so blessed to have him. I'm so thankful he shoveled today on his own accord. It was so small but to me it was huge. What a great thing to get home too.

5 comments:

Natalie Schafer said...

I love that you posted about your brother. It was very nice. And Go Rob!

Anonymous said...

Rob made me so happy that day!

Clinton Painter said...

This is a beautiful post! Thanks for sharing.

Kyle and Shanalee said...

hey lady! I had no idea you had a brother! sorry to hear that he passed so soon :(

Unknown said...

Yep I do. I was too little to remember him, but it's the knowing what I had and it being gone. I can't imagine how my mom and dad felt though. Thanks! I'm glad you're back online!